Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Whats new? (CAUTION: Word Wall)

Well Louie got adopted over the weekend! He went to a nice family of 4, (two adults, two kids). The Mom runs and is looking forward to taking Louie along. They also have another dog but she is a bit bigger, not as athletic and I think around 8 years old. Anyways, the Dad is a nice guy, very soft spoken but also had a good presence about him and so I think Louie is going to be a great fit with their family!

Kaiser went through a down day, which also was caused by the crappy dog food the vet gave us. We took Kaiser to the vet because he's got digestive problems. Its been two weeks and he still has been struggleing to put out solid #2 on a consistent basis. She did a test and said he's got a lot of bacteria in his system, probably from being kenneled so long. She gave us this special food to feed him, some stuff to clean his ears out, and some pills to give him to help clear everything up.

Well the food is expensive low grade crap. The main ingredient is corn and the protein comes from chicken by products, 4th on the list. Basically Weims are prone to bloat and especially with food high in corn! So Kaiser had been on the food 3 days and no change in his stool, plus he was bloated!

Yesterday I noticed that she had actually given us pills to give him, that are supposed to help attack the bacteria in his system. I had forgotten all about them so we started him on that yesterday. I also switched him back to his previous dog food (which is approved for people consumption so its pretty high grade stuff). Immediately we noticed a difference in his behavior. I took him out back on lunch and he was sprinting around in circles like usual!

School

Most of you probably know that I got accepted into the Engineering Management graduate program at Colorado University Boulder. I had met the department chair during the application process and she seemed very smart but also very down to earth and genuinely nice. I really appreciated her.

This weekend I met one of the professors which congratulated me on my admission and mentioned that it is a very tough program to get into. That made me feel good! She also was very excited to learn about me, what I was interested in, and what career paths I would be interested in taking so that I could sign up for the classes. It just so happens that this woman works with Pam and knows a lot of people in the industry. She thought I would benefit from some informational interviews and so I have to think about this and down the road hopefully set some up with people like, VP's of Engineering, R&D, Operation Managers, Product Managers, etc. Basically a bunch of career paths, ask them questions and figure out which would be the most interesting to me.

So now I'm really pumped for school to start again and to be getting my learn on! I just have to get registered, and figure out how I'm going to be paying for this all lol!

Summit 08

Friday night was Pam's summit. The event was held at the Ritz Carlton downtown. The night before the event John Elway was present at the bar at the Ritz and so we were all on Elway watch while we were there. At least I was! When I left I saw a rolls royce head off...wonder who's that was!

The event was a great success for Pam and her boss Shannon. While I was there it seemed to go off smoothly. Reviews from everyone there were great and I was excited to see Pam's long hours turn out so well.

The meal we had was incredible. The servings were small enough to enjoy each course and the service was impecable. After each course the servers would come around and move your remaining silverware into position. I got a kick about that. I mean does it really matter than during the course of eating my steak I moved one spoon to my right side and before I get my dessert that spoon must be moved back above my place setting and placed parallel to my body lol?

Oh, and for some reason I got lucky and was served dessert twice. :)

Pam spent the night at the Ritz but I sped home to take care of the dogs. The weekend was like this post, packed full of stuff! I only mentioned some of it, and in no particular order.

Oh yeah, Pam also ran in the Denver Marathon. She was part of 4 person team and did 7 miles. She got to run the final leg which was cool to be the one to finish the race. She also managed to get the individual type medal for the marathon instead of the tiny ones given to the team members. Funny how that worked out. :)

1 comment:

Karmel said...

Congratulations Pam! You continue to amaze me with your energy and motivation, I'm impressed that you did part of that Marathon! Travis- first, congratulations to you as well! What an honor to get into such a difficult course - we aren't surprised you made it :) ! Also,thank GOODNESS someone was at the dinner to put your silverware in place...I was sweating just thinking about it, so I"m glad it was taken care of ;) Seriously, what a packed weekend for you guys ...glad to hear louie is in a good home and Kaiser is feeling better. Enjoy your company this weekend, and we'll be in touch to get together soon!