Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mountain Biking

So a quick little update about our weekend. Our weekend was great and full of adventure. Friday was a relaxing evening at home, yummy boneless pork ribs that Travis had made and all the trimmings. :) It was so great to be asleep by 10:30pm.

Saturday we got up early, around 7:30am, ate breakfast and then decided to go try out a park near our house that supposedly had decent mountain biking. Well it didn't but it had some major hills, so Trav helped me get better at how to position myself for going up steep hills. I fell a few times, just going slow and actually once while Trav was holding on to the back of my bike, but it was fun. Afterwards because we were done by 11, we went over to the gym for a good workout and I ran about 2 miles, just to get the kinks out.

We were going to spend the rest of the day reading and hanging out at home, but with the weather so nice, we decided to head out instead. So we headed to the mall, LOL I know inside, but at least we were out of the house. We wandered the mall a bit, found lots of stuff I wanted and Trav wanted, and by that time, luckily it was time to head over to our movie. We saw the new Anthony Hopkins movie, Fracture. We both loved it. Makes you think, trying to figure out who did what and where.

Sunday, well this is where the weekend gets interesting. So we had made plans with Tim and Kathy, a guy I work with and his wife (will post pictures later) to head out to try a different spot over in Lafayette, yes where I used to live. The park is called Briones and it was supposed to have some single track, be rolling hills and have some good tree cover as well as open space. Well the single track, not too sure about. Hills, yes there were hills, but I climbed them all, as did Trav, we both are pretty happy with how in shape we are for climbing, but there is always better. So after we got to the top, had a little picnic, enjoyed the view, we headed down. We all made it through the first down hill stretch, about 400-500' drop in a mile I would say, with loose dirt. Then since I was feeling so confident I decided to go first and just took off. Well about half way down, I got a little out of control and my front tire went into a rut and got stopped by a nice root. Well I did what is called an endo, I went end over end, over my handle bars and landed on my butt and back. However when my tire got stopped, I think I locked out my arms and so when I tried to get, there was no way I could push myself back up. I ended up with some help getting up, back on the bike and going down one handed the rest of the way, luckily it was a very slight decline the rest of the way. Trav was a sweetheart and got my ice, Advil and helped me ice them the rest of the night.

On Monday, we noticed there was a bruise on my right elbow and it was all swollen, however the left, which I thought I hurt worse, was just still sore, but not swollen. I went in to see my doctor, who then sent me to X-Rays. She called and told me I had fluid in my right elbow but the left was fine, probably just bruised. So yesterday I went and saw the Orthopedist she referred me to, and with a week and a half before my marathon, I have a stress fracture in my right radial, just below the head of the elbow joint. Luckily we are out of town every weekend for the next 4 weeks, so I can't mountain bike, but he did say I could run the marathon, just be careful and ice it after and take some anti-inflammatories before and after the race.

So otherwise I am a bit banged up, which I am sure most people will see when we are in town this weekend. The blue bruises will match the blue and white dress I have to wear. LOL

No comments: