Sunday, November 11, 2007

Running.............

Running is one of the best sports and exercises that exist in the world right now in my opinion. As my mom would say, it is my threapy and my sanity. Not only does one burn over 100 calories per mile moved (on a flat surface, so there is my love/hate relationship to hills) but it allows you to be inside your head and really clarify, evaluate, answer, argue, question, figure out, sing, scream all to yourself over the course of your run. No matter where you run there is always something new to see, a new route to explore and usually at least one person to say hello to.

With winter now approaching running outside is becoming more and more of a luxury because I am not a morning runner, no matter how much I try my body does not comply. Getting off work at 5pm in the dark, treadmills M-F are going to be my best friend. So my long weekend run is definitely a priority to me. Treadmills are great and keep my stamina in check, it just does not give me the same sense of mind clearing euphoria.

I went on one of my long weekend runs today and well I have been sore in my hamstrings going on 5 days now, so I knew this was going to be a rough run. (The area we live in is a deceptively hilly area. They are not the steep hills of the Bay Area, but rolling slight inclines and declines that go for miles and you don't really notice untill you are huffing and puffing and wondering what the heck is wrong with you.) Earlier today I decided to go test out a new trail that shoots off a road about a mile and a half from our house that looked like it looped back to the main road and would be total about 7 miles. So at 3:30 I told Trav if I am not back in an hour and a half, come find me. LOL

When I run it takes me about 1-2 miles to really loosen up and get into my stride, and well today it took about, well never. HAHAHA What is great about our little suburb of Greenwood Village/Centennial is that on the weekends, I swear there is no one here. The roads are so quiet, the air is so clear and the trail system is extensive and amazes me. Where the trail started is right next the most expensive homes probably in the Denver area, at least in our little town. Though I was starting to hurt and I was only 2 miles in, I definitely had some great eye candy with these estate style homes that are worth over $1 million. Honestly these homes are beautiful and eye catching, but not my style. And what is odd, these homes feel really out of place, as the rest of the homes in the area and on the majority of the trail I ran, are ranch style, normal sized, family homes.

As I wound my way down the path, my eyes finally wandered away from the homes and more towards the whole scenery. The path actually splits the monster homes, The Preserve, from a wetland area filled with Cattails, trees, and a cute (non smelling) creek. The path is all dirt and rock and for being sundown in November, packed with people. I love how exercise really brings people to their happy place and literally every person I passed or passed me smiled at least, and most waved and said hello. There were older couples out for their evening walk, people fighting their way through a obviously painful run (like me), families biking, and children out walking with their elderly parents. I got passed by a couple on their horses, ran by a man at least 75 years old jogging (my hero), and even a man who was juggling while running, really I swear!!!!

I was awestruck on this run by the shear beauty of the area I now call home. It is the middle of November and I was running in shorts and a tank top, and I was warm!! The area, homes and land, I saw were beautiful and really made me feel like I was running in a small town in the countryside. The majority of homes are built ranch style and many have acres of land. These homes have a very warm and inviting feel and the people in the area are very warm and friendly as well. To make the views even better, I watched the sun behind the rockies. Hopefully next weekend I can take the camera and show you really how beautiful the area is.

When I am out there and happy and sweaty and taking everything in, I realize how wonderful and clear life really is. I came to a realization about things, that well once we get through the holidays, I have a great plan that I hope to start on. I feel very fortunate to be able to call this place home and hopefully in the next few years, buy a home here. (wink wink)

To sum my ramblings up and focus on what I am trying to say, lets just say that running may be great for the body, but it is like chicken soup for the soul. It not only allows me to clear my head of all the garbage that I throw and pile in there, but it allows me to eat ( because I love love love love to eat, just ask Travis) and not worry. For those who don't run, just try and walk, find a neighborhood that is pretty, a path you haven't gone on, or drive to a favorite spot you used to go to. Nothing like fresh air can really put things into perspective and give you the motivation to keep on walking or running again and again.

No comments: