Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

So for Thanksgiving this year Travis and I decided it would be best for us to stay in Colorado. We have just been traveling and gone so much that to be home for a good month straight and to save our money and tickets for Christmas would be best. As I sure most people have heard it finally snowed here 2 days ago, yeah!!! And for the past 3 days now the temperature has been hovering in the 20's. Life has been good :) Cold but good :)

Today was a packed day and let me say I am definitely beat. Full and tired. I got up this morning at 7am as the just retired President of Ware Malcomb, where I work, asked and asked if I wanted to do a Turkey Trot this morning. It was just 4 miles and a nice way to start off Thanksgiving Day, with a nice 400 calorie burn :) I got the Turkey all ready, seasoned and stuffed and left instructions for Travis to put it in the oven at 11:30 so we could be ready to eat at 3pm. Our meal consisted of a 12.5 pound turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, the special Power Pretzel Crust Salad, green beans, stuffing and of course Gravy.

The Turkey Trot started at 10am so I got up and was out the door about 8:50am to get picked up by my ride. I think the temperature when I walked out the door was about 23 degrees, so it was definitely going to be a brisk run. :) I don't have any running tights or winter running pants so I improvised and wore my favorite capris with a pair of my soccer socks pulled up over my knees so I didn't have skin showing. The day actually turned out to be beautiful, it was cold, but clear skies and hardly any wind. I thought maybe 500-1,000 people would show up, but there were over 5,000 out there to run.

Myself, Jim (the ex-president) and his daughter were all bundled up to stay warm, even for the run. However, I can say people here are die hard and crazy. We saw easily a few hundred people in shorts, some people in just shorts and a tank top or T-shirt. CRAZY! I really understand now that people in Colorado love to run. The run itself was great, we finished in about 34 minutes, which I think we figured out we ran about a 10 minute mile for the first mile and then about 8-8:30 for the next three. Thee were so many people we definitely were people dodging for half the run.

By the time I got back to the house, it was only noon. Trav had just gotten the Turkey in the oven and the house definitely was starting to smell like Thanksgiving. I was able to get all cleaned up before I had to start the full time cooking. I was hoping to squeeze in a nap but there was so much food to prepare and it was by hand, we have no food processor or potatoe peeler, so it took a long time to peel all the potatoes, carrots, apples. YUCK! By the time the Turkey was done and carved, we had a yummy feast. The funny thing is for the 4 hours of cooking and shopping and preperation, Trav and I ate all we could, and that only took 15 minutes!

It was a great day and lots of fun to really get my hands dirty and cook, I hardly seem to have time to do that lately. It would have been great to spend the day with friends and family, but I was happy to have it be just Trav and I.


No comments: