Friday, January 18, 2008

Another Grandparent movin on to a better place...

Last week my Grandad died in the early morning. He was my Mom's Dad and the last of that generation of relatives for me. I think he was around 80 years old.

Its very difficult to characterize our relationship. Yes he was my Grandad (which he preferred to be called over Grandpa) however, I can only remember seeing him in person a few times. I think that a little bit of history which probably shouldn't find its way onto this blog would help serve well into good reasoning behind this, but I am choosing to leave it be.

All the memories of him were awesome, so much fun and laughter. In addition, everything I've heard from other people about him, the stories are all wonderful. It makes me wish that I had known him better.

Its interesting though, to me how things go. Since reaching adulthood I feel like I'm getting to know my parents all over again. They aren't parents anymore really, more like friends. I still can look up to them for guidance, but its more at my pace rather than forced upon me. I can start to get to know their personalities more and understand them as a person, rather than just Dad and Mom.

Its this same relationship that I find myself wishing I had with Grandad. I've known he simply as my Grandad and since I've grown up and have heard all these great stories about him, I'm left wondering what it would have been like to really know him as a person, and not just as what I knew him to be in my childhood.

Nevertheless the time has passed too quickly and I was never given a good chance at this. I can safely say though, based on my beliefs, that he is now up in heaven enjoying peace and I'm sure lots of laughter with Jesus Christ.

-Travis

No comments: